Firefighters are taught that the primary threats to life during a fire are heat, oxygen deprivation, and carbon monoxide. Still, CO poses a greater risk than does oxygen deprivation or heat.
Carbon monoxide is created by the incomplete burning of fuel, when there is a fire in an enclosed room, the oxygen is used up, and carbon dioxide is created. The build-up of carbon dioxide prevents fuels from burning fully, releasing carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is dangerous because it has no smell, no color, and no taste, so we are not aware that we are inhaling it. Unlike smoke that travels up, Carbon Monoxide blends with the air. In large quantities, it can kill very quickly.
According to the CDC, there are at least 430 deaths and 50,000 ER visits due to accidental CO poisoning.
With this in mind, we wanted to provide a solution that would make this invisible threat visible.
FUNDAMENTAL fire, our system of smart devices that live within a building and are constantly measuring carbon monoxide in its surrounding area. They communicate with each other to provide evacuees with current information about the situation in the case of a fire emergency.
As soon as our system detects a fire, it lights up and sends out an alert to its users, letting them know there is a fire in the building.
FUNDAMENTAL fire uses a carbon monoxide sensor to measure the CO levels in its immediate environment. Based on these readings, it glows red or yellow.
It utilizes light to provide more information to the evacuees about their surrounding environment; allowing for more informed decision making.
Its glow has a breathing effect that provides a sense of calmness amongst the chaos.
Yellow means that the levels of CO are not deadly but you should anyway proceed fast and with caution.
Red means that the levels of CO are deadly and you should find an alternative route.
Install FUNDAMENTAL fire close to the ground, below knee height. Unlike smoke detectors, Carbon Monoxide detectors should not be placed close to the ceiling. Smoke rises, but Carbon Monoxide blends with the air. Having the devices close to the ground also makes it visible even when in smokey situations.
FUNDAMENTAL fire should be placed in every room, office or business, as well as in hallways and stairwells.